November 7, 2013

Review: Treason by S.M. Boyce


Treason by S.M. Boyce
Series: The Grimoire Saga #2
Publisher: Caffeinated Books Publishing
Source: Bought
ISBN: 9781939997074
Release Date: October 27, 2012
Pages: 364

Goodreads | Amazon | Kobo | Smashwords


Kara Magari ignited a war when she stumbled into Ourea and found the Grimoire: a powerful artifact filled with secrets. To protect the one person she has left, she strikes a deal that goes against everything she believes in. But things don’t go as planned.

Braeden Drakonin can no longer run from who—and what—he is. He has to face the facts. He’s a prince. He’s a murderer. He’s a wanted man. And after a betrayal that leaves him heartbroken, he’s out for blood.

To survive, both Kara and Braeden must become the evil each has grown to hate.


I had a love/hate relationship with Kara & Braeden’s relationship in this book. At times it felt like Kara was just jerking Braden’s feelings around. She was hot and cold all throughout this book and just confused both Braeden and myself. I do realize she was just trying to protect him, but it got tiresome at some points.

You wouldn’t get close to me because you didn’t trust me to take care of myself. We’re both at fault here.

But with that being said I still love them together. They work well as a team and maybe the problems I did have with this book was the parts when they went their separate ways. They also had some obvious communication issues. Kara was trying to protect Braeden from the Vagabond, but wouldn’t clue him into her reasoning so she just ended up pushing him away. When they finally talked about it at the end of the novel it was well written and gave me all sorts of feelings.

She’d come back. When anyone else in the world would have left him to a lifetime with Carden, Kara came back.

Braeden is your traditional hero. He truly cares about Kara and respects her. Even if she will never return his feelings he still wants to protect and ensure she is safe. Kara on the other hand comes from a more modern world where she doesn’t think she needs to be protected.

We don’t ever have to be together, Kara, if that’s not what you want. It doesn’t have to be that way. But I will always make certain you are safe.

I’ll do my best to respect what you want, Kara. I just want to be nearby. Someone has to catch you when you trip.

In this book you see Braeden struggling with his heritage. He’s afraid of his Stelian side. He enjoys killing and fears that he will become his father. His past comes to light and it goes over just as one would expect and he is alone to face his father after everyone he has known has abandoned him.

A family isn’t supposed to care about what you are, just what you’ve done. I can’t care about what they think anymore.

A new character is introduced in this book, Stone. Stone is an isen (not the bad kind). When Stone is first introduced he did not make much of an impact on me, but when he appears later to save Kara he really grew on me. I can’t wait to read the third book now because I think he is going to play a big part in it. Stone has a mysterious past and all the answers Kara needs to fulfill her destiny.

Once again S.M. Boyce has created a beautiful world with Ourea.

My Rating: