May 14, 2013

Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects

 photo TopTenTuesday_zps8b6043c8.png

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's feature is our top ten books when dealing with tough subjects (suicide, rape, abuse, etc.) These types of books I honestly steer away from. They just are not my cup of tea, but here are a few that I have read.




1. Entangled by Cat Clarke. I read this book a few years ago and it was written beautifully. 

2. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I loved this book. It made me laugh. It made me cry. I don't know what took me so long to finally pick it up and read it.

3. If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch.

4. Wonder by R.J. Palacio. Wonder involves a young boy who has severe disfiguarations. What I really loved about this book is that Auggie didn't dwell on what he looked like.

5. A Moment by Marie Hall. While this book did have some severe editing errors, the story was wonderful. It had a different spin on abuse and I would have given it five stars if it had gone through proper proof reading.

6. The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden by Jessica Sorensen.

7. Little Bee by Chris Cleave. This book is one of my all-time favourites. Little Bee doesn't deal with life in Nigeria straight on, but it does gives you a glimpse into Little Bee's horrendous life prior to the events in the book.